This article may contain compensated links. See our full disclosure here
As it is San Valentino (Valentine’s Day), we are getting seriously romantic and talking about what it is like to get married on the Amalfi Coast, where hundreds of couples celebrate starting the journey of a lifetime together with family and friends every year.
In this episode, we talk to Victoria Morris, the creative director of wedding planning company Sophisticated Weddings Italy who has helped many couples plan their special day in this most incredible part of the world. With some of the world’s most stunning scenery, amazing food and jaw-dropping venues, the Amalfi Coast may just be the ultimate destination wedding location. Victoria helps plan dream Amalfi Coast weddings and shares her experiences being involved in their special days.
What you’ll learn this episode
- On a practical level, first things you need to think about when planning a wedding in Italy are budget, numbers and the type of ceremony you are wanting – before you can move on to the dreamier stuff
- From large and luxurious, to intimate and rustic – there are so many different options for a wedding on the Amalfi Coast
- Traditionally, instead of confetti, in Italy, they throw rice (for fertility) and sugared almonds
- Legal marriages can only take place in designated places such as town halls and churches, symbolic ceremonies can be done in all sorts of wonderful locations – both are possible but need different kinds of preparations.
- A pizza and Peroni (Italian beer) party is a wonderful guest welcome event
- Vico Equense, where Victoria lives, is famous for it’s ‘pizza a metro’, it’s meter-long pizza
- Limoncello laced wedding cakes are a thing!!
Fancy even more romance in your life?
Find some wonderful, romantic Italian tunes in our Spotify playlist here.
About our guest – Victoria Morris
She plans, styles and creates bespoke and luxury destination weddings in Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast, that are a true reflection of her brides and grooms to be.
Her goal is to ensure that each meaningful detail, combined with the natural beauty of the area, is brought seamlessly together to create the most memorable experience imaginable.
She has been planning weddings and celebrations in this area for over 6 years, splitting her time between the UK and Italy and considers herself blessed to be doing a job that she loves so much.
You can find Victoria on these channels:
- Website: www.sophisticatedweddings.net
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/sophisticatedweddingsitaly
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/sophisticated_weddings_italy
- Wedding wire: Sophisticated Weddings Italy – Planning – Naples, IT – WeddingWire
Places to visit mentioned in the show
- Sorrento, Positano, Ravello, Salerno – all wonderful towns on the Amalfi Coast (though Sorrento isn’t officially classed as such) – perfect for not only for romantic weddings but for anyone to enjoy
- Pompeii – the world-famous ancient city, buried under 4 to 6 m (13 to 20 ft) of volcanic ash and pumice in the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in AD 79. Find visiting info on the Pompeii Scavi official website
- Capri – the island of dreams. A boat tour around the island is a truly unforgettable experience
- Villa Cimbrone – a stunning hotel in Ravello, originating from the 12th century residence and famouse for it’s Terrace of Infinity
- Belmond Caruso – another beautiful Ravello hotel, a former 11th-century palace, with gorgeous grounds including olive trees and an infinity pool
- Villa Rufolo – a historic building in Ravello, overlooking the cathedral square
- Torna a Surriento – a famous song, originally written in 1894, which means ‘Come Back to Sorrento’. Listen to Luciano Pavrotti sing a beautiful version here.
- San Valentino – St Valentine’s day in Italy
- Cannolo (Cannoli) – Italian pastries consisting of tube-shaped shells of fried pastry dough, filled with a sweet, creamy filling. Learn more about this Sicilian creation in Typical desserts from Sicily to satisfy your sweet tooth
- Peroni – Italy’s most famous brand of beer
- Wisteria and bougainvillaea – the gorgeous purple and pink flowers you’ll find all over the region
Resources from Untold Italy
- Discover lots of beautiful destinations in this romantic location in the Best places to stay in Amalfi Coast: towns, villages, hotels and villas, what to do and see in our Amalfi Coast Itinerary ideas for 3-7 days and other places to enjoy as a couple in 21 most romantic places in Italy
- Listen: to Episode #014: Amalfi Coast highlights and to our most listened to episode, Episode #042: Come away to Capri! for some more Amalfi inspiration and a truly romantic story of how guest Holly ended up living on Capri and for some of the most romantic places to visit Episode #075 Cruising Lake Como and Episode #010 Venice Highlights
- Join our exclusive Untold Italy Insiders to help plan your trips, come together with fellow travelers, to share travel finds and inspiration, and learn more about bella Italia!
- How to plan a trip to Italy – our article that takes you step by step through trip planning so you can plan an amazing trip full of memories you’ll cherish forever
- Italy Travel Planning – our FREE online community where you can ask questions and get inspiration for planning your trip
- Travel shop where you’ll find items mentioned in the show
Prefer to read along as you listen? You can download a PDF version of the full transcript of this episode.