This article may contain compensated links. See our full disclosure here
Seeing the sights of Italy is one thing but enjoying a moment of pure joy is quite another. If you ask us, travel is all about experiences and that’s exactly what we’re talking about with Josie in this episode.
Josie reveals her favorite experiences in Italy – all well worth considering when you plan your trip. Truly Italian experiences that will create wonderful memories to cherish for a lifetime.
In this episode, Josie talks about her top 5 Italy (and then some!) experiences and why they are so special to her. She tells us the moments and places where she had an emotional response to being in beautiful Italy and hopefully, it will give you some ideas of how you can create memories like this of your own. We did ask her to stick to 5 but it seems that wasn’t possible. Ah Italy, you’ll always hold a very special place in our heart!click here to subscribe to podcast updates
Josie’s Top 5 Italian Experiences
- A boat trip on Lake Como – Read: Lake Como travel guide – la dolce vita on the Italian lakes
- Ancient Rome – Go to our Best Tours in Rome guide and highlights podcast for ideas
- Climbing Florence’s Duomo Bell Tower – Enter the Duomo is free but you need a combined ticket to climb the dome and visit the other buildings. Your access to the dome is at a set time and cannot be changed. Buy your advance tickets for Duomo on their sometimes confusing website or use online English language ticket and tours site Get Your Guide – click here for Duomo combined ticket.
- Hiking the Cinque Terre – incredible terrain and views. Sure to create amazing memories – but, top tip – get in shape first!
- Vatican City – Find out about our recommended tours and check out the Vatican Official Site for information on events/when the pope can be seen.
- The whole of Florence – as well as climbing the bell tower, the city itself is a wonderful place in so many ways – the art, the architecture, the food! Not to mention the surrounding Tuscan countryside and it’s amazing towns and villages.
- The Duomo in Milan – another beautiful cathedral to experience – well worth a tour.
- Cooking classes all over Italy – Wherever you go, a cooking class is always a wonderful experience.
- Driving around Puglia – a firm favorite activity of both Josie and Katy
About Josie Armao
Italian heritage and family in Italy’s Calabria region has meant Josie has felt the pull of Italy from a very early age. A hotelier with years of experience in the travel industry, she has a keen eye for the best hotels, restaurants and beach clubs. And she knows exactly where to get that designer bag you’re coveting.
Places mentioned in the show
- Villa Carlotta – this beautiful villa on Lake Como is open daily from March to October and on selected days during the winter. Adult admission is €10 and children under 6 visit for free.
- Aroma Restaurant – Michelin star restaurant with incredible, Instagram-worthy views over the Colosseum
- Largo di Torre Argentina – the spot in Rome where Julius Caeser was murdered. Now a cat sanctuary.
- The island of Capri – another destination for a memorable boat trip.
Resources from Untold Italy
- Listen: Episode #006: Florence Highlights
- Listen: Episode #049: Exploring Florence with Corinna Cooke
- How to plan a trip to Italy – our article that takes you step-by-step through trip planning so you can avoid our mistakes
- Italy Travel Planning – our FREE online community where you can ask questions and get inspiration for planning your trip
- Travel shop where you’ll find items mentioned in the show
- Andrea Bocelli: Music For Hope – Live From Duomo di Milano
- TakeWalks Rome Tours – a great tour company that both Katy and Josie have used and love
- With Locals – they run private tours at reasonable prices including some great options for families
- Buzzsprout Podcast Stats – showing how we are in the top five per cent of podcasts worldwide
Prefer to read along as you listen? You can download a PDF version of the full transcript of this episode.